“Flowers say things that words can never express.” – Anonymous
Wherever you are in the world, flowers speak a universal language of emotions.. Whether in happiness or in grief, you can never go wrong with, an appropriate floral arrangement. This unique floral language of sorts has been an integral and indelible part of German culture for centuries. The country has had a colorful and unique history.
The resplendent Cornflower, Centaurea Cyanus, is a part of that colorful history. A symbol of Teutonic beauty, strength and courage, it has come to be associated with German ingenuity. Here’s how… When Napoleon attacked Germany, the Queen is said to have, saved her children from capture by hiding them in a field full of cornflowers and covering them in wreaths she wove of them. Ingenious, isn’t it?
It is hugely popular to gift flowers in Germany. The symbolism attached to flowers however can be a tricky subject, as their meanings vary as per the culture. Read our flower gifting guide for Germany, to make sure you are buying the right flowers for the right occasion, in order to make the right impression.
Discover The Meaning Of Flowers In Germany
- Roses are among the most sought after flowers in Germany
- Yellow Roses are a symbol of forgiveness
- When gifted together, Red & White Roses are a symbol of solidarity and healing
- The Yellow Tulip (like the Red Rose) is a flower chosen to express romantic love
- White Lilies are thought of as grave flowers and a single flower bouquet of Lilies should only be presented at funerals
- Iris flowers in yellow, red and white stand for familial pride, deep attachment and support
- Carnations in all their colors are considered to be romantic flowers, but are generally part of more ornate arrangements.
Popular Flower Gifting Days In Germany
There is no doubt that flowers are an amazing gift. They are a thoughtful, emotional way of expressing what words can never do justice to. Here are some of the most popular occasions for gifting flowers in Germany.
Valentine’s Day is the universally acclaimed day of love. What better way then, to show the woman you love; what they mean to you than with a well thought of bouquet or floral arrangement? Yes, the red rose is the king of romantic expression, and it is hands down the most sought after flower of this season. Combined with other seasonal stunners like Carnations, Lilies and Baby’s Breath; they make a beautiful and thoughtful expression of love. Want to break from the tradition? A spectacular bouquet of Tulips, one of Europe’s most enduring flowers, will provide an offbeat break from the norm. Or why not combine a floral arrangement with a wildly popular heart shaped cake, or the wildly popular chocolate and flower combination. With the right kind of planning, the possibilities are endless.
Roses are wildly popular at this time of year, and demand can exceed supply. Plan to gift a floral arrangement, a few weeks in advance to get it at a good price and avoid disappointment
Women’s Day, celebrated in Germany (like the rest of the world) on the 8th of March, is a day to honor the role of a woman in all spheres of life. Gifting flowers to the important women in your life, from a mother, to a spouse, friend or even a co-worker is a wonderful way to express, love, respect and gratitude. The combinations of flowers available for this occasion include roses (in different colors), Gerberas, Lilies, Orchids, Chrysanthemums and Tulips.
Understand the significance of the meanings of flowers before gifting them. Different flowers have different symbolic meanings to different people. It may not be appropriate for instance to gift Red Roses to a co-worker, but it is perfectly fine to do so to a spouse or even a family member.
Celebrated on the second Sunday of May, Mother’s Day acknowledges the contributions made by mothers to a family and a child’s life. A popular way to make your mother feel warm, loved and respected. A wide variety of floral arrangements and heartwarming gifts can really make the day special for your mother. Popular flower arrangements include Roses (in different hues), Carnations, Orchids, wax flower and Lilies.
Floral arrangements are a beautiful way to make your mother feel special, consider combining a variety of flowers, to express multiple emotions, rather than one or two flowers in isolation.
Easter is the most important festival of the Christian Church. It celebrates the resurrection of Christ and is held between 21st March and 25th April, on the first Sunday after the first full moon following the northern spring equinox. Traditionally White flowers are the foremost choice for Easter, but you can send a colorful arrangement of Pink Lilies or Mixed Color Roses in a woven basket. Great choices for Easter include spring flowers like Daffodil, Tulip, Rhododendron & Azaleas.
Celebrated on 1st June every year, Parent’s Day recognizes the contributions of parents in the life of a family. Like Mother’s Day, or Valentine’s Day, it is considered appropriate to gift floral arrangements as gifts to express love and affection to one’s parents on this day. Considering it is celebrated at the peak of the floral season, Roses in full bloom, Gerberas, Orchids, Chrysanthemums and Lilies are the primary flowers gifted at this occasion.
Always take into consideration the preferences and tastes of your parents when planning a floral arrangement. To add a factor of nostalgia to the arrangement, refer to wedding pictures and use the primary flowers from that day to really bring back memories.
The role of a father in a child’s life is one of the more underplayed ones. Father’s Day, celebrated internationally on the third Sunday of June, therefore is a wonderful occasion to recognize and give your father the due credit, for doing a wonderful job raising you. Again celebrated at the height of the flower season, Roses in combination with Carnations, Chrysanthemums, Lilies, Gerberas, Orchids and wax flowers are wildly popular at this occasion. A hamper is a great alternative to flowers
A combination of eatables and flowers, such as a grooming kit, or a wine kit, along with flowers is one of the most thoughtful things you can present your father.
Celebrated at the peak of winter, Christmas is a time for family, friends and togetherness. Flowers can add both a celebratory and a decor touch to this wonderful festival. Considering that flowers can be pretty hard to come by during this season, other natural substitutes like pine cones, cinnamon sticks and decorations like tassels and Christmas balls are very popular. A few choice flowers like Red Roses or Carnations (in different colors). Red or White Lilies, Red Hypericum Berries, Holly, Ivy, Mistletoe, Poinsettia and Gypsophila all come together to add a dash of freshness to the proceedings.
When ordering flowers for Christmas, do so weeks in advance, along with a Christmas tree, as they are extremely popular and can be sold out if not accounted for in advance.
Choosing The Right Flowers For Different Occasions?
Gifting flowers is by far one of the most thoughtful things you can do for the people you love. Choosing flowers for different occasions though can be a tricky call. And so here are a few simple tips to avoid making common mistakes when gifting flowers on different occasions.
Birthdays are an important milestone in a person’s life. Gifting them flowers therefore is one of the most thoughtful things you can do for them.
The flowers to go with: Roses with tulips or in combination with their birth flower, is one way to go about it.
Combinations: Looking at flowers to accompany another gift is also another eloquent touch. Depending on the person’s relationship to you, and taking into account their likes or what they truly want, is the right way to go about it.
Birthday Greeting Ideas: No floral arrangement or birthday gift is ever complete without a card. A standard Happy Birthday greeting is clichéd. Instead a witty couplet or emotional messages like “Another year and you’ve blossomed into an amazing person; it’s been a privilege to witness your evolution. I wish you only good things. Happy Birthday” is a very classy touch.
- A hand tied bouquet is a wonderful artisanal approach to gifting flowers. For another style, try an arrangement with its own vase, or a vertical or S-Shaped one.
- Roses are a summer flower and as such their prices are generally a little lower in that season. For roses in any other season, place an order (prepaid) a few weeks in advance to get it at a competitive price.
Weddings are the culmination of courtship and the beautiful union of two souls in matrimonial bonds. It is also one of the most perfect times to present the couple with a thoughtful floral arrangement they will always treasure.
Flower Combinations: Choose Tube Roses in White or light shades, Hydrangeas, Lilies, Orchids and other exotic flowers will add a beautiful touch to a wedding bouquet.
Arrangement Style: A simple bouquet with the couple’s favorite flowers would definitely be a wonderful touch. If in any doubt, choose Roses with other seasonal flowers in an aesthetically pleasing formation.
Greeting Card: We suggest writing a beautiful wedding card. Consider your words with a message that serves as a reminder of your friendship and support for the couple’s love like “Watching you on the altar reaffirms our belief in LOVE. We wish you a long and loving married life”.
- While floral arrangements are a wonderful gift in themselves, close family and friends of the couple should ask for the wedding registry, where the couple have registered and pick out a gift they would truly treasure.
- Fresh, seasonal flowers make a wonderful addition to the wedding photos. These flowers also hold well and rest longer, so are a more enduring reminder of the wedding day for the couple.
While funerals may be a solemn occasion, they are the apt time to send flowers to the bereaved family. Flowers are an ideal way to show your support and share condolences.
Choosing Sympathy Flowers: Lilies are the traditional choice as they represent purity and support. Any other White flowers like Roses in combination with Carnations and White Chrysanthemums are considered to be an apt arrangement at the solemnity.
Arrangement Style: When sending flowers to a funeral parlor remember to send either a funeral wreath or a Casket/Standing Spray. If you are sending flowers to the family members’ homes it’s better to chose a Sympathy Bouquet or a Sympathy Basket.
Condolence Cards Wording: A simple heartfelt condolence message is the right way to express your regret and solidarity with the grieving family. “We are with you in your time and grief. Rest assured that he/she lived a full life and is in a better place. Our heartfelt condolences”.
- Lilies are definitely a popular choice, but even a wreath of the deceased’s favorite flowers can be a fitting tribute to the deceased.
- For the funeral flowers to arrive on time; make sure to place your order at least two working days prior to the funeral date.
- Remember! It’s improper etiquette to send a Funeral Wreath or a Casket/Standing Spray to the residence of the deceased. Wreaths or sprays are meant for funeral mortuary services.
Where Do Flowers In Germany Come From?
Germany is the leading importer of cut flowers in the European Union. With high disposable incomes, the demand for floral arrangements is said to be among the highest in the world. Like with most other countries, the demand for roses is extremely high, and roses being a flower of the hotter climes, it is obvious that it is imported from Central America, China and other Asian and African countries. Dutch Tulips are also a specially imported flower, as are lilies from other European states.
Consider These Tips Before You Buy Gifting Flowers
- Choose fresh. Seasonal, flowers: Fresh seasonal flowers keep longer, are robust and adds a colorful & thoughtful touch to any floral arrangement.
- Local over imports: Local flowers have special significance to people and are especially appreciated during festivals, weddings, birthdays and funerals because of their symbology.
- Check the overall condition of flowers: Remember to take a close look at the flowers before buying them. Reject wilting or discolored flowers. There is nothing pleasant about receiving a badly constructed bouquet with wilting flowers. It shows malcontent or bad intentions.
- Always take into account the recipient’s likes and dislikes: Sometimes even the most well intended gift can go horribly wrong, because you do not take into account the recipient’s taste and preferences. Remember to ask people close to the recipient about the flowers they like before you purchase.
- Research the meaning of flowers: Do a little reading on the meaning of flowers before you shop for them. For instance, you should never send a bouquet of lilies (in solitude) to a celebration like a wedding, because in Germany and Scandinavian states they are thought of as grave flowers.
Care Tips For Your Newly Delivered Flowers
- Place the arrangement in a vase with water.
- Prune the accompanying leaves and stems regularly
- Expose flowers to minimal sunlight, and heat radiating appliances
- Change the water in the vase daily or whenever possible
- To make the flowers last longer follow the care instructions that come with the bouquet
- Add a little sugar or lemon juice to the water in the vase, to reduce the acidity of the water and provide the cut flowers with some nutrition.
The Germanic culture has a long and storied history of floral arrangement and with one of Europe’s most robust economies, the demand for flowers and floral arrangements is at an all time high. Using the information provided in this guide, we hope you will be able to fill your life and those of the people you gift flowers to, with smiles, laughter and happiness.